Do you struggle to articulate the values of your massage business? Need help putting your intentions into words? In this article, you’ll learn to write an impactful and concise massage therapy mission statement. We’ll give you plenty of examples to spark your imagination. After reading this, you’ll be able to craft your own and put it into action.
What is a Mission Statement for Massage Therapy?
A mission statement is a brief description of why a business exists and what makes it different. A massage therapy mission statement clearly outlines the values, vision, and philosophy of a massage business.
Ultimately, it tells your clients, staff, and the rest of the world, what your business is all about. It explains the why and how of your massage business.
Every massage business offers massage therapy, but not every massage business is like yours. Your massage therapy mission statement is your chance to describe the purpose of your business and how that’s different from the others.
Do you really need a Massage Therapy Mission Statement?
A massage therapy mission statement will keep you on track in creating the practice of your dreams. That sounds a little grandiose, but it’s true.
Here’s why creating a massage therapy mission statement is so important:
- It guides business owners. A mission statement keeps your values and purpose top of mind. When you’re struggling to make a difficult business decision, you can reflect on your massage therapy mission statement. It will guide you to the right choice.
- It informs prospective customers. A mission statement clearly defines who your business was created for. Therefore, it attracts the right people to your business and helps weed out those who aren’t a good fit.
- It sets the par for staff. A mission statement lets your staff know what the expectations are. Your staff is a reflection of your massage business. Your massage therapy mission statement gives them a philosophy to work by. It also sets the tone for how they’re treated in your company.
Things to Consider when Crafting a Massage Therapy Mission Statement
Before you begin writing, take time to think about what your business means to you. Why did you start it?
It’s a good idea to talk to friends, family, or colleagues about this. Sometimes, things that come up in conversation have more depth than what’s in our heads. Other times, someone else’s words can inspire a more thoughtful explanation. Even if you have the perfect explanation without talking to anyone, your mission statement is for sharing. Conversations can help you figure out the best way to share your intentions.
Consider these things before writing a massage therapy mission statement:
- Why did you choose to become a massage therapist?
- Why did you start your massage business?
- Who do you strive to help with your business?
- What kind of customers do you want to attract?
- What physical benefits does your business provide to customers?
- What emotional benefits do you provide customers?
- What’s special about your staff?
- What are your core values?
- What words of wisdom guide your decisions in life and in business?
- What do you hope to accomplish by running a massage business?
- How does your business impact the community?
- What goals do you have for your business?
- What goals do you have for yourself, as a therapist and in life?
- How is what you do different from other therapists?
How to Write an Impactful Massage Therapy Mission Statement
The goal is, to sum up the purpose and values of your business. This is your mission. Ideally, you do this in as few words as possible (so choose the best ones).
Create your mission statements in 2 steps.
1. Let your words flow. Write down the most important things about your business. What does it provide? How do you do it? What are the intention and core beliefs behind it all? What’s the goal of the whole thing?
2. Condense it down to a brief statement. Take the strongest pieces from step one and craft that into a single phrase. It takes creativity to convey the meaning in just a sentence or two, but it’s possible when you choose the most impactful words.
Include these elements in your massage therapy mission statement:
- Vision: What your business offers the world.
- Inspiration: Spark some feelings in people.
- Connection: Connect it back to your business.
Things to Avoid When Writing a Massage Therapy Mission Statement
Remember, you want your mission statement to be a true reflection of your business values. You want it to resonate with prospective clients and employees. You also want people to read it and understand it.
Here are some mistakes to avoid when writing a massage therapy mission statement.
- Don’t make it too long. Keep it brief. No one will read a whole paragraph.
- Don’t copy your competitors. You’re unique. Let your mission statement reflect that.
- Don’t be vague. Be really specific. This is your chance to define who you are.
- Don’t use buzzwords and jargon. That does not inspire people. It makes them feel like they are being sold.
- Don’t focus on features. Focus on the benefits you offer.
How to Use and Where to display your Massage Therapy Mission Statement
Your mission statement is the words your business lives by. Use it to guide how your business grows and changes. Use it to guide how your business engages with customers. Use it to always show up the way you intend.
Here’s how a mission statement works in action.
First, you create a massage therapy business plan. Your mission statement will be included in this plan, and it’ll help shape your vision.
When you’re ready to hire a massage therapist, use your mission statement to choose the right candidates and to train them to do it your way.
Then, use it in your marketing. Share it with the world by putting your massage therapy mission statement on your website, brochures, and in the signature of your email marketing campaigns.
Remember, your mission statement isn’t just written words. It’s reflected in the language you use every day and the way you do business. Once you create it, be it.